What Are the Conditions of My FAST Card

Free and Secure Trade Membership Conditions

The Free and Secure Trade Membership is a privilege granted by the governments of the United States of America and Canad. Your FAST Card is not a right and your membership be cancelled at any time by either US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) or the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). To ensure you do not lose your Card and membership, please review your conditions of membership:

  • You must act in accordance with any and all customs and immigration laws, regulations or rules that apply to you while using the FAST Card with your truck or using it as an ID replacement when entering Canada by road. Compliance with the law is not limited to customs and immigration laws, so any other rules, regulations or laws enforced by either CBSA or CBP also must be complied with.
  • Another person may never use your FAST Card. This is grounds for revocation.
  • You may not transport other people in your truck when using your FAST Card or FAST Card lanes.
  • It is your responsibility to keep your personal documentation (passport, driver’s license) valid and up to date with both CBP and CBSA, by either using the TTP website or informing staff in person at a FAST Enrolment Centre.
  • When your card is expiring, you must either renew your card or return your FAST Card to the nearest FAST Card enrolment centre if you have no intention of renewing your membership.

Your FAST Card entitles you to using the FAST lanes and otherwise utilizing an expedited inspection procedure but the membership does not make you exempt from inspection. CBSA and CBP officers will still give your truck a full inspection from time to time, if they wish to do so. If, at this time, you are found to be violating the immigration laws or customs policies of either Canada or the US, your card may be seized and your membership will likely be revoked if your card is seized.


Specific Conditions of Your FAST Membership


Lost, Damaged or Stolen FAST Cards

  • If you lose your FAST Card, your are obligated to inform the nearest FAST Enrolment Centre. You will need to pay for a new one.
  • If your FAST Card is damaged so that cannot use it any more, you must hand it into the nearest enrolment centre and pay for a new one.
  • If your FAST Card is stolen, you must inform your local police department and then you must inform the FAST program as above.

If you do not inform the CBSA and CBP of the theft, damage or loss of your card, and it is recovered by someone else, you could lose your membership.


US Legislation Concerning the FAST Card Program

To maintain your Free and Secure Trade membership, you must comply with all applicable American legislation, especially any and all legislation enforced by US CBP. This usually means federal legislation on customs and immigration but may include other legislation outside of those areas as well.


Canadian Legislation Concerning the FAST Card Program

To maintain your Free and Secure Trade membership, you must not violate these three pieces of Canadian legislation:

Please note that this is not an exclusive list.


What Do I Do if My FAST Card is Confiscated?